Identity card for the vision impaired community
Proof of identity that gives you freedom
The Kiwi Access Card is a form of photo identification for kiwis, that is also beneficial for older kiwis, those who are blind or have low vision.
As people near retirement, not having valid photo identification can be an issue, especially if you no longer drive or your passport has expired. For those kiwis who have low or no vision (young or old), we have added braille to our card so low and blind vision kiwis can feel the braille on this card and identify their Kiwi Access Card as their photo identification in their wallet or purse.
It is an easy and convenient way to help you get the most out of life, especially if you do not hold a valid driver licence and/or passport. You can apply easily for the new card at any participating NZ PostShop or AA Centre. It can be easily carried in your wallet and features your photo on the front of the card.
What do I need to complete my application?
- Two (2) identical recent passport sized colour photos
- Proof of the address you want your card delivered to.
- Photo ID to prove who you are, this can be your:
- Current 18+ Card or Kiwi Access Card
- New Zealand Driver Licence
- Firearms Licence
- Certificate of Identity (issued under the Passports Act 1992)
- Refugee Travel Document (issued by or for the New Zealand Government)
If you do not have one of these, you can still apply – you need someone who can prove you are over 18 and some other form
of identification, like your birth certificate. See step 6 of the application form for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Need more information? Read our list of frequently asked questions.
If you have further queries you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 04 333 2834, between 10am-3pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).
What happens next?
- The NZ PostShop or AA Centre will send your application to be processed.
- Keep hold of your receipt until you have received your card.
- You will get your Kiwi Access Card delivered by courier in about two weeks.