The must-have travel card for backpackers in NZ

Peace of mind while you explore New Zealand

The new Kiwi Access Card can be used across New Zealand as an evidence of age and identity card. If you are travelling, working or studying in New Zealand, you can still apply for the Kiwi Access Card, you don't have to be an NZ citizen to apply. The card gives you the freedom you need to explore all of New Zealand and enjoy your time here, without worrying about losing your passport, while you are out and about. Before you arrive in New Zealand, it is worth knowing that evidence of age is frequently needed to gain access to goods and service, and it is therefore useful to have a reliable evidence of age and identity card that you can carry with you at all times.

You can use the Kiwi Access Card to gain access to goods and services, and as evidence that you are over the age of 18. In New Zealand, only driver licences issued in New Zealand (as opposed to foreign driver licences) will be readily accepted as evidence of age, making Kiwi Access Card an ideal evidence of age for backpackers, anyone on a working holiday visa, as well as foreign students and other visitors to NZ.

The new Kiwi Access Card has replaced the 18+ Card. There have been no changes in the process to obtain a card. Applications for the new Kiwi Access Card are available now, and can be made via NZ Post. The Kiwi Access Card will retail at $55 including GST.

To apply for your Kiwi Access card you will need:

  • A passport-sized photograph. If you don’t have one you can get one taken at selected PostShops (for a fee) when you apply.
  • Proof of your address.
  • Photo ID to prove who you are, this can be your:
    • 18+ Card or Kiwi Access Card (current or has expired less than two years ago)
    • Passport (current or has expired less than two years ago)
    • New Zealand driver licence (current or has expired less than two years ago)
    • Firearms licence (current or has expired less than two years ago)
    • Certificate of identity (issued under the Passports Act 1992) (current or has expired less than two years ago)
    • Refugee travel document (issued by or for the New Zealand Government)(current or has expired less than two years ago)

If you do not have one of these, you can still apply – you need someone who can prove you are over 18 and some other form of identification, like your birth certificate. Check step 5.1 of the application form for a list of what other form of identification is acceptable.

When can I apply?

You can apply for your card up to one month before you turn 18. You will not get the card until after you have turned 18.

Where do I apply?

You need to take your completed form, $55, all your identification, a passport sized photograph, and proof of address to your nearest PostShop.

Frequently Asked Questions

Need more information? Read our list of frequently asked questions.
If you have further queries you can phone us on 04 381 9937, between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.

What happens next?

- Keep hold of your receipt until you have received your card.

- NZ Post will send your application to be processed.

- You will get your Kiwi Access Card delivered by courier in about two weeks.