Evidence of Identity for Travellers.
The must-have travel card for backpackers, migrants or visitors in New Zealand.
The Kiwi Access Card (previously the 18+ card) can be used across New Zealand as an evidence of age and identity card. If you are travelling, working or studying in New Zealand, you can still apply for the Kiwi Access Card, you don't have to be an NZ citizen to apply.
The card gives you the freedom you need to explore all of New Zealand and enjoy your time here, without worrying about losing your passport, while you are out and about. Before you arrive in New Zealand, it is worth knowing that evidence of age is frequently needed to gain access to goods and service, and it is therefore useful to have a reliable evidence of age and identity card that you can carry with you at all times.
You can use the Kiwi Access Card to gain access to goods and services, and as evidence that you are over the age of 18. In New Zealand, only driver licences issued in New Zealand (as opposed to foreign driver licences) and passports will be readily accepted as evidence of age, making Kiwi Access Card an ideal evidence of age for backpackers, anyone on a working holiday visa, as well as foreign students and other visitors to NZ.
What do I need to complete my application?
- Two (2) identical recent passport sized colour photos
- Proof of the address you want your card delivered to.
- Photo ID to prove who you are, this can be your:
- Current 18+ Card or Kiwi Access Card
- New Zealand Driver Licence
- Firearms Licence
- Certificate of Identity (issued under the Passports Act 1992)
- Refugee Travel Document (issued by or for the New Zealand Government)
- If you do not have one of these, you can still apply – you need someone who can prove you are over 18 and some other form
of identification, like your birth certificate. See step 6 of the application form for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Need more information? Read our list of frequently asked questions.
If you have further queries you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 04 333 2834, between 10am-3pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).
What happens next?
- The NZ PostShop or AA Centre will send your application to be processed.
- Keep hold of your receipt until you have received your card.
- You will get your Kiwi Access Card delivered by courier in about two weeks.