Apply for your Kiwi Access Card at NZ Post
Photographic evidence of age and identity card for over 18s
If you are over 18, or have just turned 18, the new Kiwi Access Card is a must-have evidence of age and identity card. If you do not hold a valid driver licence and/or passport, Kiwi Access Card is an easy to carry form of evidence that you are over the age of 18, which can be used across New Zealand.
Before you start your first job, leave home for the first time, or head off to start university, make sure you are all set up and ready to go with a Kiwi Access Card. It is secure, reliable, easy to apply for and affordable too.
The new Kiwi Access Card has replaced the 18+ Card. There have been no changes in the process to obtain a card. You can apply for the Kiwi Access Card up to one month before you turn 18 years old, and you will then receive the card once you have turned 18. You must be able to prove that you are 18 years old or over at the time of application for the Kiwi Access Card.
Applications for the new Kiwi Access Card are available now, and can be made via NZ Post. You can pick up the application form from your local NZ Post outlet, or download the form below. The Kiwi Access Card will retail at $55 including GST.
To apply for your Kiwi Access Card you will need:
- A passport-sized photograph. If you don’t have one you can get one taken at selected PostShops (for a fee) when you apply.
- Proof of your address.
- Photo ID to prove who you are, this can be your:
- 18+ Card or Kiwi Access Card (current or has expired less than two years ago)
- Passport (current or has expired less than two years ago)
- New Zealand driver licence (current or has expired less than two years ago)
- Firearms licence (current or has expired less than two years ago)
- Certificate of identity (issued under the Passports Act 1992) (current or has expired less than two years ago)
- Refugee travel document (issued by or for the New Zealand Government)(current or has expired less than two years ago)
If you do not have one of these, you can still apply – you need someone who can prove you are over 18 and some other form of identification, like your birth certificate. Check step 5.1 of the application form for a list of what other form of identification is acceptable.
What happens next?
- Keep hold of your receipt until you have received your card.
- NZ Post will send your application to be processed.
- You will get your Kiwi Access Card delivered by courier in about two weeks.